CDS- Combined Defence Service
CDS is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment of Commissioned Officers in India Army, Navy and Air Force. The exam is taken twice a year usually in February and September by UPSC.
UPSC has released the CDS 1 exam 2020 notification on its official site – Check Here.
CDS Exam 2020 will be conducted by UPSC for the recruitment of 418 posts:
CDS Exam – Apply Here
CDS 1 2020 Vacancies
For CDS 1 2020 exam the vacancy has been released. Check the CDS 1 2020 vacancy below:
|CDS Course||Total Vacancies|
|Indian Military Academy, Dehradun||100|
|Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala||45|
|Indian Air Force Academy, Hyderabad||32|
|Officers Training Academy, Chennai (Men)||225|
|Officers Training Academy, Chennai (Women)||16|
- Indian Military Academy,
- Indian Naval Academy,
- Air Force Academy and
- Officers Training Academy (male & female).
1-The CDS 1 2020 online application has begun from 30 October 2019 with a direct activated link.
2-The last date to apply online for the CDS 1 exam is 19 November 2019.
3-This exam is one of the biggest opportunity for candidates who want to pursue a career in this field.
4-Women/girls can also apply for the CDS exam under the posts of Officer Training Academy (OTA) only.
5-Last Date for Fee Payment (Pay by cash): 18th November 2019 Date of Online Application withdrawn from 26th November to 03rd March 2020 till 6:00 pm.
6- Date of UPSC CDS Exam (I) 2020: 02nd February 2020 Duration of Exam: 01 Day.
Eligibility Criteria for CDS Exam 2020 (I)
Nationality: A candidates must either be:
- a Citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 01st January 1962 with the intention of permanently setting in India, or
- a person of India origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India. Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (I), (Ii), (iv) and (v) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Govt of India.
CDS Age Limit, Sex & Marital Status
- For IMA – Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 02nd January 1997 and not later than 01st January 2002 only are eligible
- For Indian Naval Academy – Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 02nd January 1997 and not later than 01st January 2002 only are eligible.
- For Air Force Academy – 20 to 24 years as on 01st January 2021 i.e. born not earlier than 02nd January 1997 and not later than 01st January 2001 (Upper age limit for candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India) is relaxable upto 26 years i.e. born not earlier than 02nd January 1995 and not later than 01st January 2001) only are eligible
- For Officers’ Training Academy (SSC Course for Men) Male candidates (married or unmarried) born not earlier than 02nd January 1996 and not later than 01st January 2002 only are eligible.
- For Officers’ Training Academy – (SSC Women Non-Technical Course) Unmarried women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible; they should have been born not earlier than 02nd January 1996 and not later than 01st January 2002.
Note: Male divorcee/widower candidates cannot be treated as unmarried male for the purpose of their admission in IMA/INA/AFA/OTA, Chennai courses and accordingly they are not eligible for these courses.
- For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai – Degree of a recognised University or equivalent
- For Indian Naval Academy – Degree in Engineering from a recognised University/Institution
- For Air Force Academy – Degree of a recognised University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering
- Graduates with first choice as Army/Navy/Air Force are to submit proof of Graduation/provisional certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the SSB.
- Candidates who are studying in the final year/semester Degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply provided candidate should not have any present backlog upto the last semester / year for which results have been declared upto the time of submission of application and they will be required to submit proof of passing the degree examination at the time of commencement of course to reach the IHQ of MoD (Army), Rtg ‘A’, CDSE Entry, West Block II, R. K. Puram, New Delhi-110066
- in case of IMA/SSC first choice candidates and Naval HQ “DMPR” (OI & R Section), Room No. 204, ‘C’ Wing, Sena Bhawan, New Delhi-110011 in case of Navy first choice candidates and PO3(A)/Air Headquarters, ‘J’ Block, Room No. 17, Opp. Vayu Bhawan, Motilal Nehru Marg, New Delhi-110 106 in case of Air Force first choice candidates by the following dates failing which their candidature will stand cancelled:
- For admission to IMA on or before 1st January 2021, Indian Naval Academy on or before 01st January 2021 and Air Force Academy on or before 13th November 2020.
- For admission to Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai on or before 01st April 2021
- Candidates possessing professional and technical qualifications which are recognised by Government as equivalent to professional and technical degrees would also be eligible for admission to the examination
Physical Standards (CDS Eligibility)
- Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Combined Defence Services Examination (1), 2020 as per guidelines given in Appendix-IV of the information brochure
- Candidates (except Female/SC/ST candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs.200/- either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of SBI, State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/State Bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Mysore/State Bank of Patiala/State Bank of Travancore or by using Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card
- Applicants who opt for “Pay by Cash” mode should print the system generated Pay in-slip during Part-I registration and deposit the fee at the counter of SBI Branch on the next working day only
1. CDS Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of CDS I 2020 is divided into two sections:
- Written Examination
- Intelligence & Personality Interview
The exam pattern of CDS 2 examination is different for Officer Training Academy and Indian Naval Academy/Indian Military Academy/Indian Air Force.
CDS Exam Pattern for NAVY/ ARMY/ AIR FORCE
The exam of Indian Naval Academy/Indian Military Academy/Indian Air Force comprises of 3 papers, which carry a total of 300 marks. The total duration of each exam is 2 hours.
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
|Elementary Mathematics||100||2 hours|
CDS Exam Pattern for Officer Training Academy (OTA)
The exam of Officer Training Academy (OTA) consists of 2 subjects with a total of 200 Marks. The duration of the two exams is 4 hours (2 hours for each exam).
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
Candidates should be aware of the subjects of CDS syllabus along with important topics. Candidates are required to check the entire syllabus of CDS 2020 Exam for its thorough preparation.
Best Books for CDS Exam
best book for CDS exam paper in English- Buy Now
CDS Exam Best Book in Hindi – Buy Now
practice set (in english)- Buy Now
Practice Set in hindi- Buy Now